Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Back from WWW2008

It happened once again. The most important conference on the Web was hosted in Beijing, China.

Fortunately, I was able to attend it once again, but only after an entire week on vacations. I have to say that I loved China. A huge country, filled with great, kind people. I had the chance of having three buddies with me on this trip, which was great!

Shanghai. For those who know (and like) New York City, you will feel comfortable in Shanghai. A very cosmopolite city, filled with skyscrapers. Lots of excellent street food (even for a vegetarian like me). Lots of bargaining, which I translated into a shiny new Canon EOS 40D for half the price, and a brand new Sony Cyber-shot T300. You can see their quality in my Flickr account.

Beijing. The great city in the north. A HUGE city, may I say. Had the pleasure of travelling to the Great Wall, more specifically to the Mutianyu section.

Conference days. I presented on W4A, which I was attributed with the best paper award. Great news! On the second day I presented on WebEvolve, the Web Science Workshop. The next three days were enjoying the main WWW conference, with excellent keynote speeches, excellent papers (some Google guys presented there a PageRank for images), and excellent food.

I deeply recommend everyone to go to China when possible. And WWW, well, it continues with its excellency on research and industry.